Renault Launches Energy dCi 130 1.6L Engine on Scenic

Renault is expanding the engine range of the Scenic MPV with the addition of a new 1.6-liter Energy dCi 130 plant which, according to them, is the most powerful engine of its size available on the market today. The unit will gradually replace the 1.9 dCi 130 (F9Q), initially in the Scenic and Grand Scenic ranges, then across the entire Megane family.

As you might expect from it’s name, the engine converts diesel into 130 horsepower, while peak torque is a generous 320Nm (236 lb-ft) at 1,750rpm, some 80 per cent of which is available from 1,500rpm. In order to deliver real driving enjoyment in all situations, the newcomer boasts impressive performance and response worthy of larger capacity powerplants. It’s also Euro 5 compliant, and has the lowest emissions when compared to any other MPV, emitting 115 grams of CO2 per kilometer.

“Renault's objective was to bring its customers a core-range engine that durably delivered best-level CO2 emissions and fuel consumption without detracting from driving pleasure. It is to this challenge that Renault's engine specialists rose in 2006 when they began designing this brand new engine. Working from a clean sheet of paper, the overriding aim was to produce a simple, efficient engine with innovation built into its genetic make-up,” Renault explains.

As a result, some 75 per cent of the 264 components that have gone into the Energy dCi 130's are new, while most of the other 25 per cent come from the 2.0 dCi engine (M9R) which is widely acclaimed for its quality and reliability.

The engine gets start-stop as standard across the whole Scenic range, plus features like low pressure EGR, Energy Smart Management and variable swirl.
If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram
About the author: Mihnea Radu
Mihnea Radu profile photo

Mihnea's favorite cars have already been built, the so-called modern classics from the '80s and '90s. He also loves local car culture from all over the world, so don't be surprised to see him getting excited about weird Japanese imports, low-rider VWs out of Germany, replicas from Russia or LS swaps down in Florida.
Full profile


Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories