Upgrading the system or just taking it out for repairs, the Toyota Matrix’s radio unit is very easy to remove and you can do it anywhere with the right tools.
For the job, you’ll need a 10mm socket ratchet with extender and a plastic prying tool. If you don’t have one, a flat screwdriver with some tape on its head should do the trick. Here are the steps:
- Use the prying tool and take carefully take out the plastic trimming surrounding the radio unit
- Disconnect the cables attached to the trimming panel
- Remove the 10mm bolts from the sides of the radio unit
- Slide the radio unit out and remove the wire connections at the back
- Use the same metal mounting brackets from its sides on the new radio unit.