Airbiquity will be in charge with deploying its Green Vehicle solutions for Ford's fleet of EVs, allowing the integration with the manufacturer's back office systems.
“Ford continually leads the auto industry in providing cutting-edge connected vehicle options, and Airbiquity is delighted to be selected again for another of Ford’s programs,” said Kamyar Moinzadeh, Airbiquity CEO.
“Information and communications technology is becoming essential for new vehicle introduction. This further validates the strength and versatility of our global, connected vehicle solutions.”
The Green Vehicle solutions will help Ford do one of the following:
- eco-routing, charging stations, energy consumption, integration with automaker back-office systems
- optimize vehicle operation with proactive vehicle maintenance notifications
- fuel consumption: tracking and reporting with real-time traffic and route planning improve fuel consumption
- record driver behavior and its impact on performance with recommendations to improve vehicle operation and fuel use
- vehicle performance characteristics: idle time, acceleration/braking profile, pollution emissions monitoring
- recommendations for driver and vehicle changes to improve fuel consumption
As said, the first Ford to use this system on a mass scale will be the Focus EV, presented by Ford at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. The car will come powered by Ford-engineered lithium-ion battery pack (developed with LG Chem) which supports recharging from both 120V and 240V sockets. Range and other performance details have not been announced.