Here’s Why You Should Never Leave Aerosol Cans in Your Hot Car

Can of dry shampoo left behind in a hot car explodes, goes through the sunroof 16 photos
Photo: Facebook / Christine Bader Debrecht
If you ever bothered to read what it says on an aerosol can, you probably know you’re not supposed to leave them in temperatures above 120 degrees. If you do and this temperature is reached in the interior of your car, be prepared for a mess and a whole lot of damage.
That’s the warning coming from a woman in St. Peters, Missouri, after her daughter’s Honda Civic was wrecked by a can of dry shampoo. The 19-year-old girl forgot it in the middle console last week and, as temperatures soared, so did the can. It exploded and shot through the sunroof, destroying the interior and landing about 50 feet away from the vehicle.

The good news is that there was no one in the car at the time, or they would have sustained serious injuries. The bad news is that this was a very costly mistake, so Christine Bader Debrecht, the mother, is now reaching out on social media to other female drivers and passengers who might be inclined to make the same mistake. Her story has reached near-viral status.

With her warning, Christine includes photos of the wrecked Civic, together with more details on the incident. Insurance will cover the damages, but it will take a while for them to be fixed, so she’s spreading the word.

“It was hot yesterday and the can exploded. It blew the console cover off of its hinges, shot through the sunroof, and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away,” she says. “I just want to remind you (and your kids) to heed those warnings on products you may be using. Please don't leave aerosol cans (and especially dry shampoo, as this seems to be an issue with some brands) in your car! I am so grateful that no one was hurt.”

All aerosol cans pose this danger, which is why they come with the warning to not be exposed to direct sunlight or fire, or be left in hot temperatures. Even a water bottle left on any of the seats, in direct sunlight, can be a fire hazard, as the water inside can act as a lens for the rays of the sun.

If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram
About the author: Elena Gorgan
Elena Gorgan profile photo

Elena has been writing for a living since 2006 and, as a journalist, she has put her double major in English and Spanish to good use. She covers automotive and mobility topics like cars and bicycles, and she always knows the shows worth watching on Netflix and friends.
Full profile


Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories