Moreover, the Los Angeles Times today reports that Chrysler has asked local dealers to pay for the company's exhibition stand at the event, but the brand does not intend to reveal any new model. More importantly, global manufacturers such as Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Suzuki and Land Rover took similar decisions and said they won't participate to the Detroit Auto Show scheduled for January 2009.
According to figures provided by the aforementioned publication, the Los Angeles Auto Show has 20 percent fewer exhibitors when compared to last year's edition, with several carmakers withdrawing from the event various reasons.
"Clearly, we're affected," said Andy Fuzesi, general manager and co-owner of the L.A. Auto Show. "Everybody is clearly reassessing where they spend their money."
As mentioned, General Motors announced on Friday that its press conference scheduled for the LA show has been canceled due to apparently bad timing if taking into account the company's October sales.
"The timing's not good for us right now given all the other news. You honestly have to ask yourself is the news you're going to make going to break through the clutter. The automotive and business media attention is on what's going on in Congress and I just have my doubts that the typical auto show news is going to be as newsworthy as what they're debating,” GM spokesman Scott Fosgard was quoted as saying by Detroit News.