First BMW F16 X6 Rolls Off the Assembly Lines in South Carolina

BMW F16 X6 rolling off the assembly line 1 photo
Photo: Bmw
August brought along not only the last few weeks of summer but also the first BMW F16 X6 rolling off the assembly lines in Spartanburg, South Carolina, according to On August first, the number one 2015 X6 was shipped from the US to China.
This particular car will go to a BMW dealership in the Asian country, where the Germans have high expectations from the second-generation Sport Activity Coupe in terms of sales. As far as the details go, we can tell you that it was an xDrive35i model wearing Sophisto Grey on the outside and Cognac Black Nappa leather inside.

However, even though production started and cars are being shipped all over the world, the F16 X6 will go on sale worldwide later this year, in December.

The X6 is being manufactured in the US alongside all the other X Series models, like the X3, X4 and X5 and it will be joined by the X1 and X2 in 2016. About 70 percent of everything made over there is being shipped out to the rest of the world, leaving around 30 percent for the domestic, US market.

At the moment, the Spartanburg plant is undergoing some serious changes, in the process of becoming BMW’s biggest on a global scale. The company announced earlier this year that it will be building a bigger X model under the X7 moniker and that it needs to invest into the facility to accommodate the production.

At the same time, the $1 Billion investment will raise the production numbers from 300,000 units a year to 450,000, making the American facility the biggest in BMW’s books, worldwide. That’s if it’s finished by 2016, when it’s scheduled.

“As the world’s first sports activity coupe, the BMW X6 holds a special place in Spartanburg’s 20-year production history. The bold, new look of the second-generation X6 is a welcome addition to the plant’s X-model lineup,” said Manfred Erlacher, president and CEO, BMW Manufacturing Co.
If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram

Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories