Villadelprat said that his team will continue to prepare for a potential F1 entry despite being ruled out by the FIA a couple of months ago – in favor of US F1, Manor Grand Prix and Campos Grand Prix – as one or two teams might reconsider their plans for F1. Whether that was just a lucky guess of a hunch, he did not reveal.
“We are still working on the project, at a much slower rate obviously because we don't have the security (to be on the grid). What we can say is that the people who were interested in helping us are still interested, which is something incredible,” aid the Spanish official in an interview with British magazine Autosport.
“If the opportunity arises, we are going to attack it, there's no doubts about it,” added Villadelprat.
This is the first public bid for BMW's spot since the German manufacturer announced their decision this morning. Although it was believed the Munich based car maker will be followed by Toyota and Renault out of the sport, the former today confirmed they remain committed to Formula One.
“With the reductions of costs we are continuing our formula one engagement. That has been communicated to us from Japan,” said a spokeswoman for Toyota earlier this morning, according to the GMM news agency.
While Renault are yet to comment on the news, BMW's fellow countrymen Mercedes also confirmed their presence in F1 for at least the upcoming 3 years.
“We regret the formula one withdrawal of BMW. This decision does not have any influence on our formula one engagement,” added a Merc spokesman.
In the meantime, the teams' alliance announced on Wednesday that it will support moves for the Hinwil based team to continue in Formula One.
"FOTA teams have immediately consulted each other and are ready to assure all the necessary support to the Swiss based team, whose membership in the association is confirmed, to continue its involvement in F1," said the teams association's secretary general Simone Perillo, as reported by the GMM news agency.