There are some though who made a living from telling us how not to get a shopping cart full of goodies and no means to get them home. HEAT, short for Help Eliminate Auto Thefts, released today a few pieces of advice regarding what you should and should not do with your car while going shopping.
Some of the below tips may appear to be a bit exaggerated but, as it happens with any good advice, if it works, you'll never know it.
- stay alert and watchful – stop doing what you were doing and lock and secure the car
- park in well-lit, high-traffic areas – the more visible your car is, the harder to steal
- place valuables and purchases in the trunk or out of view – eliminate temptation for wannabe crooks
- remember where your car is parked – so you don't call the police for nothing
- move your car – when you keep bringing stuff to the car and leave for another shopping round, remember to move you car and again eliminate temptation for wannabe crooks
- if threatened by a carjacker with a weapon, give up the car – and its contents, we might add, provided the contents aren't people
- if you witness an auto theft or carjacking, call the police immediately - after all, you too might be at the other end of the rope