This last question seems to have an affirmative answer, as the Italian media on Tuesday announced that the 59-year old Italian is planning to sue the International Automobile Federation (FIA) over the Monday verdict, while also asking the ruling body for compensation for his damaged image.
“I'm devastated” said Briatore, according to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. The Italian was not present at the Paris meeting on Monday, although he was initially summoned to appear before the Council at the FIA headquarters.
If Briatore will indeed press charges against the FIA for their crash-gate verdict, it will be the Italian's second legal action intended in the last month. He also pressed charges against Nelson Piquet and his son over their presumable attempt to blackmail him into extending the Jr.'s contract a couple of weeks ago.
Stepping in Briatore's defense was none other than Carlos Gracia, the chief of the Spanish motorsport federation. The Spaniard insisted that the FIA acted uneven when handing the penalties, especially since Briatore hasn't had the opportunity to state his case. In addition, granting Nelson Piquet Jr. will full immunity over the incidents is also looked upon as a great mistake by the FIA.
“Briatore's sanction seems excessive to me, as there were no clear evidence to incriminate him and he didn't have the chance to defend himself. Moreover, I'm not ruling out that he decides to resort to regular justice, because he has been left without his mean to earn a living,” said Gracia in an interview with Spanish newspaper AS.
“Personally, I insist that Briatore's penalty seems disproportionate, while I think that a big mistake has been made with Piquet, creating a dangerous precedent. Mosley has labelled the scandal as a criminal act, so I don't understand how the executor can be reprieved. He is as responsible for the scandal as the rest, and if he's not ready to handle situations with pressure, then maybe he chose the wrong job,” added Gracia.