The first step towards securing a 2011 deal – which he currently doesn't hold – was made last week, when telling the media that he won't speak to any other team in the paddock about a potential contract next season, as he prefers to stay with Frank Williams' team. Given his love declaration for the British outfit, Williams returned the favor in a few days time.
“Assume that Rubens is staying with us,” Sir Frank Williams was quoted as saying to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, while the team's technical director Sam Michael also expressed his enthusiasm over getting to work with Barrichello for one more season.
“The extension should be as much a formality for Rubens as is his daily breakfast. He has demonstrated the importance in this business of experience,” said Michael about the 38-year old Brazilian, whose efforts this season have turned Williams from a midfield team to a constant frontrunner (at least in recent weeks).
Consequently, Williams' will be another drivers lineup to stay the same for the season to come, following teams like McLaren, Mercedes GP, Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Lotus F1. Nico Hulkenberg will retain his seat in Williams' team for 2011, and Barrichello had only words of appreciation for his much younger teammate.
“90 per cent of the time we feel the same thing about the car. And the other 10 per cent I can learn something from Nico,” said the current record holder for Grand Prix starts in F1. In 2011, Barrichello will drive for the 19th consecutive season in the Great Circus, an incredible record for anyone to match in the decades to come.