Toyota Will Acquire Remaining Daihatsu Stocks, Brand Will Live On

Toyota will buy all the Daihatsu shares it does not already own by August 2016.
2014 Daihatsu Copen 1 photo
Photo: Daihatsu
The world’s number 1 carmaker already owns a majority stake of 51.2% in Daihatsu and has announced an agreement to acquire all the other 48.8% of Daihatsu shares in the coming months. The Japanese brands have not released the price for their transaction, but the cost is estimated at around $3 billion.

The buyout is going to benefit both companies, as Daihatsu will become part of Toyota’s small car strategy. The brand will be focused on fuel efficiency and lowering costs for the users.

The two entities will work together in emerging markets, especially in those where Daihatsu has a strong presence and brand image. Toyota will get the chance to focus more on safety, protecting the environment, improving comfort and user experience.

Since Daihatsu will be focused on reducing costs, its models will probably feature Toyota technology at a lower cost. The decision to acquire the entire Daihatsu shares package allows Toyota to strengthen its position as the world’s largest carmaker by improving its presence in emerging markets.

With a fresh infusion of Toyota parts, Daihatsu cars may become even more attractive to customers in emerging markets. In some countries, it is more important for the client to be able to afford a new car than the features that particular vehicle is fitted with.

In India, for example, the Tata Nano was supposed to stop families from traveling on motorcycles and scooters with sidecars and make the transition to a car.

While Toyota and Daihatsu haven’t explicitly expressed their desire to put every potential customer in one of their cars in the coming future, they have specified their expectations for a new period of growth.

Masanori Mitsui, Daihatsu President, sees the acquisition of the company he leads as an opportunity to “cement their relationship with Toyota, and to elevate the Daihatsu brand to a global standard.

Poor sales made the Japanese brand retire from the European market, while the US market didn’t prove successful for Daihatsu either.
If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram

 Download: Toyota Press Release regarding Daihatsu acquisition (PDF)

About the author: Sebastian Toma
Sebastian Toma profile photo

Sebastian's love for cars began at a young age. Little did he know that a career would emerge from this passion (and that it would not, sadly, involve being a professional racecar driver). In over fourteen years, he got behind the wheel of several hundred vehicles and in the offices of the most important car publications in his homeland.
Full profile


Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories