Leave aside the fact that both are Scottish drivers, the triple world champion pointed to the great job Di Resta did while a Friday driver for Force India through the 2010 F1 season. Considering his little experience in an F1 car before, his lap times were competitive to say the least, not to mention that at times he even lapped the circuit faster than one of Force India's regulars.
In addition to his learning curve inside the Force India garage, Di Resta also managed to keep focus on his DTM commitments, where he clinched his first title in career in the last round. That being said, one can conclude that his season in 2010 has been nothing short of impressive, which is why Mallya should think twice before closing the door on him for 2011.
“I don't see any reason why Paul shouldn't be on the grid next year,” said Stewart in a recent interview with Scotsman.com.
“He's impressed everyone with what he's achieved during his Friday test sessions with Force India this year, and he's fast. But he's also very clever, astute and — from what I've heard — very good with his technical feedback. I definitely think he'd help strengthen the grid even more,” added Stewart, who recently argued that the 2011 F1 grid is the strongest in the history of the sport.
There are currently 4 drivers in the running for a seat with Force India Mercedes, namely 2010 regulars Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi, alongside Di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg. So far, all but Di Resta have expressed great optimism regarding their chances to ink a deal with the Silverstone-based squad.