Introducing a number of significant firsts for SsangYong, the Korando is ready to take a bold step into one of the most profitable sectors of the European car market. The vehicle represents a clear attempt from the company to manufacture an SUV at as low of a price as possible. With the focus on quality and desirability, the SsangYong Korando has been designed by well-known stylist Giorgetto Giugiaro.
SsangYong Korando's new e-XDi200 engine is found under the bonnet of the crossover. With a high power output of 175 hp, good combined cycle fuel economy of 6l/100km (47mpg) and CO2 emissions of 157 grams per kilometer, the SsangYong Korando makes for a decent contender on the European C- segment SUV market. The manual version reaches 100 km/h (62 mph) from standstill in 10 seconds flat and a top speed of 179 km/h (111 mph), while the auto takes 10.8 seconds and reaches 186 km/h (115 mph).
Next year, the Korean company will also introduce a more frugal version of the car, as well as a regular petrol engine. Refinement was important to the company when making the car, so the new 2.0-liter diesel engine is offered with both manual and automatic six-speed transmissions to power both front and four-wheel drive Korando models.
Here is the full price list for the 2011 Korando:
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi C 2WD Manual: €21.990 ($29,996)
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi C 4WD Manual: €23.990 ($31,745)
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi Classy 2WD Manual: €23.990 ($31,745)
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi Classy 4WD Manual: €25.990 ($34,392)
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi Classy 2WD Automatic: €25.990 ($34,392)
- Ssangyong Korando e-XDi Classy 4WD Automatic: €27.990 ($37,945)