Smart ED May Be to Blame for Florida House Fire

What is it with these stories of EVs spontaneously combusting so frequently? Are they believable? It’s almost as if somebody doesn’t like them at all, and is trying to give them a bad name - just speculation. This time it’s the turn of the new all-electric Smart ForTwo ED, which may be to blame for a house fire, in Estero, Florida.
Burnt Smart 1 photo
Photo: NBC News
It is still unclear which type of Smart ForTwo it is, as the fire damage is very extensive, but it may be a second generation ED, or possibly a conversion. The unfortunate fire ended up causing $200,000-worth of damage to the home, which is estimated to be worth a cool half-a-mill.

We highly doubt that it was the car which actually started the fire (or its charging station, as some information suggests), but even if it wasn’t people will no unconsciously associate the house fire phenomenon with the little Smart ED, and it’s a shame because its appeal will suffer as a result.

We will have to wait until the official conclusion of the investigation, to at least clear up which kind of electric Smart it was.

Story via

UPDATE: It turns out that the car in question was just a regular gasoline-powered Smart ForTwo, and it was not the cause of the fire.
If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram X (Twitter)

Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories