Jimmie Johnson, Brand Keselowski and Clint Bowyer all blew tires with few laps remaining. NASCAR called after the Bowyer’s Toyota slid across the track, sending the race into a green-white-checkered-flag finish.
"I knew four tires was going to win the race, so I'm glad (crew chief) Dave (Rogers) called that," Busch said after the race. "There was some great racing up front between Tony and Kurt there. It was really interesting to watch that.
"I went into Turn 1 thinking I'm going to run the middle and then Tony started sliding off the bottom and I'm like, ‘Nope, not having it.' I had to get some brake and cut my car to the left and drove underneath him and got him cleared off Turn 2, and I was able to keep Kyle Larson behind me."
Kyle Busch and Larson were followed by Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth, while Tony Stewart and Jamie McMurray put their Chevrolets in fifth and sixth.
Auto Club 400 Top 101. Kyle Busch (Joe Gibbs Racing/Toyota)
2. Kyle Larson (Chip Ganassi Racing/Chevrolet)
3. Kurt Busch (Stewart-Haas Racing/Chevrolet)
4. Matt Kenseth (Joe Gibbs Racing/Toyota)
5. Tony Stewart (Stewart-Haas Racing/Chevrolet)
6. Jamie McMurray (Chip Ganassi Racing/Chevrolet)
7. Brian Vickers (Michael Waltrip Racing/Toyota)
8. AJ Allmendinger (JTG Daugherty Racing/Chevrolet)
9. Paul Menard (Richard Childress Racing/Chevrolet)
10. Carl Edwards (Roush Fenway Racing/Ford).