The new MP4-12C GT3 will feature a unique engine calibration, bespoke racing transmission developed in partnership with Ricardo (who also developed the engine with McLaren) and a suspension arrangement tuned specifically for racing.
Initial demand for the first 20 McLaren MP4-12C GT3s is high, with around 20 more GT3s planned to be built through 2013 and 2014.
The new MP4-12C GT3 will arrive at this season’s Blancpain Endurance Series race at Spain’s Circuito de Navarra, followed by Magny-Cours in France and Silverstone in England. Plans to enter the Total 24 Hours of Spa endurance race have also been revealed.
CRS Racing Team Principal Andrew Kirkaldy will be joined by 2010 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver Oliver Turvey and Portuguese racing driver Alvaro Parente in the McLaren GT driver line-up for the 2011 development programme.
“We have defined the technical requirements for the 12C GT3 in the McLaren simulator and I am pleased to say that feedback from the three new drivers in the team means we can immediately focus on fine-tuning the set-up of the car, rather than address any fundamental changes,” stated Marcus Waite, McLaren GT Chief Engineer.
“I personally will not be satisfied until we have undertaken test programmes that significantly surpass the requirements of 3hr and 24hr endurance racing. We are committed to dealing with emerging issues that race teams often face in their first season running a new GT3 car and we will ensure our first customers receive a very reliable race car next season,” he added.
McLaren MP4-12C GT3 Technical Specification:
- Width (mm) - 1995mm
- Height (mm) - 1145mm
- Wheelbase (mm) - 2670mm
- Fuel tank capacity - 120 litres
- Chassis/body - McLaren carbon fibre MonoCell with aluminium front and rear frames and bespoke carbon body panels
- Aerodynamics - Front and rear diffuser, front splitter, dive planes and adjustable rear wing.
- Transmission - 6 speed sequential using actuation via steering wheel mounted paddles; Limited slip differential with a range of ramps and adjustable pre-load; Wet sump; Sintered clutch hydraulically operated; Driveshafts with tripod joints
- Engine type - V8 twin turbo McLaren M838T
- Engine capacity - 3.8L
- Bore x Stroke - 93 x 69.9
- Max. Engine speed - Limited to 7500rpm
- Cylinder block - Cast aluminium , 90 deg V angle, dry sump scavenge, Nikasil coated liners
- Crankshaft - Forged steel flat plane
- Pistons - Forged aluminium
- Conrods - Forged steel
- Cylinder head - Cast aluminium with plastic composite cam covers, inlet & exhaust variable cam timing
- Valvetrain - 32V with 40 deg variable cam timing on intake & exhaust. Low mass with sliding contact end pivoted pinger followers, single variable rate springs and hollow cast chilled iron camshafts
- Intake system - Two water/air charge air coolers. Plastic composite plenum.
- Exhaust system - Cast stainless steel exhaust manifold with compact MHI fixed geometry turbo chargers. 970 deg C turbine inlet temperature.
- Fuel system - Returnless fuel rail with twin fuel tank mounted pumps and twin spray injectors
- Engine management - MESL TAG400 ECU & CIU 100; Interfacing with Bosch ABS and Shiftec control units
- Wiring harness - Modular installation: Engine, chassis, fuel cell
- Lubrication - MOBIL1: engine and transmission
- Cooling - Air/water heat exchangers for engine water and charge air cooling combined with water/oil heat exchangers for engine, transmission & PAS.
- Front axle - SKF integrated axles with handed single wheel retaining nut
- Rear axle - SKF integrated axles with handed single wheel retaining nut
- Front suspension - Double wishbone adjustable for ride height camber and toe
- Rear suspension - Double wishbone adjustable for ride height camber and toe
- Dampers - Coil over Multimatic dampers with DSSV technology with independent bump and rebound adjustment
- Front brake system - Akebono 6 piston monoblock calliper; 378 x 36mm Iron ventilated disc
- Rear brake system - Akebono 4 piston monoblock calliper; 355 x 32mm iron ventilated disc
- Steering - Electro-hydraulic PAS
- Wheels - Forged Aluminium; Front 12” x 18”; Rear 13” x 18”; MESL TPS system compatible
- Cockpit electronics - Multifunction steering wheel with integrated driver display; Central switch panel with systems display screen
- Steering wheel - Derived from MP4-24 Formula 1 wheel retaining integrated driver display, paddle shift and switches