Shortly after he woke up from the induced coma on Monday, the initial verdict issued by the medical staff at Santa Corona was that Kubica will likely remain in intensive care for a week or so. However, only a day before being scheduled for a second operation on his right humerus and foot, the Renault driver was transferred to the normal ward.
Tomorrow morning, the Pole will undergo a 4-hour operation in order to stabilize his humerus and foot. If all goes well, the next step in his recuperation will be a third and final surgery, scheduled for Monday morning, on his elbow. That intervention is also expected to last around 4 hours.
Shortly after the Monday operation, Kubica will head back to intensive care, for the post-surgery course. According to reports, the Pole might even be released from hospital late next week, in case everything goes well.
Referring to his rehabilitation period however, hand surgeon Igor Rossello told the SID news agency that Kubica will need to make great and lengthy efforts to recover physically.
“The operation (on Sunday) went perfectly. It is a great result that Kubica can now move his hand, because the surgery was long and complicated. He will need to work hard every day,” said Rossello earlier this week.