Founded in 1983 for educational purposes, the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust has been restructured and renamed. The newborn Jaguar Heritage was re-launched and once again opened its gates for the public, which will again be given the chance to see the 100+ vehicles from Jaguar’s collection. The Jaguar Heritage Museum expects visitors at its location in Browns Lane, five days a week and during the last Sunday of every month. The museum is not only showcasing the famous cars from the aforementioned collections, but its structure was also re-designed so that visitors understand better the brand’s racing history. “It is important that we maintain the link to our heritage and the famous vehicles that have gone before like the C-type and D-type. They are not only part of the history but also part of the sporting pedigree that is Jaguar,” said Mike O’Driscoll, the Chairman of the Trust and the Managing Director of Jaguar Cars a release for the press. Highlights of the collection include:
- the Swallow sidecar, with which the founder of Jaguar, Sir William Lyons, began his career
- the first Jaguar badged car, a 1937 SS Saloon
- NUB 120, the famous Appleyard rally car
- the penultimate D-type ‘Long Nose’ built in 1956, which won the Reims 12 hour race that year
- the 1966 XJ13 built to compete at Le Mans, but which never took part in the race
- the last E-type S.3 V12 open two-seater
- some of the company’s most important concept cars
But the museum is not all about cars. A bronze sculpture by Dame Elizabeth Frink, paintings by Peter Blake and Roy Nockolds, trophies from the 1950s and 1980s, and original posters are also exposed.
“Vehicles from the famous collection are regularly seen at historic events around the world and regularly back up the launch of new vehicles. We intend that these vehicles, which are great ambassadors for the company, will be seen at even more events in Europe and America,” announced founding Trustee Peter Mitchell, OBE, when speaking on Trust's future plans.