If your Toyota Corolla’s battery dies over night from different reasons, you won’t be able to use the gear selector to put it from “Park” to “Neutral” and tow it.
Luckily, Toyota thought about this and placed an override device to allow such maneuvers. You will only need a flat screwdriver (or something similar, like a thin key). Here’s how to do it:
- Locate the override slot. It should be just above the “P” marking on the gear shifter’s surrounding
- Use the sharp tool to pry the little cap open
- Inside, you will see a small lever that needs to be pressed in order to unlock the shifter
- While keeping the small lever pressed, move the shifter in neutral
- Put the shifter back in “Park” after towing the car.