Ford said in a self-praising statement that over 300 components installed in its cars are made from recycled content, which saves around 20,000 tonnes of landfill every year.
“Ford's approach is guided by its Product Sustainability Index, including sustainable material and substance management. The index covers recycled materials and the use of natural fibres, which continue to replace plastics in Ford components," Valentina Cerato, materials engineer at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre, Essex, said.
And to better understand Ford's efforts to protect the environment, the US-based manufacturer detailed the recycled components available inside the Focus:
- Heater and air conditioner housing made from 25 per cent recycled plastics
- Replacement bumpers made from 20 per cent recycled bumpers
- Interior carpets made from 20 per cent recycled carpet material
- Battery tray made from 50 per cent mixed recycled plastics
- Wheel arch liners made from up to 100 per cent recycled polypropylene
- Air cleaner assembly made from 25 per cent recycled plastics
- Fabric seat option made from 100 per cent recycled material
- Roof lining, parcel shelf, instrument panel, insulation and sound-proofing materials include recycled textiles
Additionally, Ford Focus, Fiesta, Fusion, C-MAX, Kuga, Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy are all allergy tested, which makes the company "the only manufacturer to have its cars' interiors confirmed as allergy friendly".