Casey Stoner dominated both the practice and the qualifying sessions and even managed to stay in front of the pack in the first laps of the race. Both Rossi and Lorenzo had to come back from lower positions, with the latter snatching the leading place with seven laps to go.
"Coming here to Valencia I really wanted to win one more time in this fantastic season, in front of my home fans. In the practices I was fast all weekend, but it seemed like Casey was even faster. I made a good start today but in the second corner trying to pass Casey I got overtaken by three or four riders, then I had a hard fight with Simoncelli when I nearly fell! I kept calm after that and concentrated and then lap-by-lap I recovered. I had a wonderful fight with Casey at the end," Lorenzo said after the race, according to the official MotoGP website.
The MotoGP 2010 world standing sees Jorge Lorenzo as a clear leader with a record of 383 points, followed by Dani Pedrosa with 245 points and Valentino Rossi with 233 points. Casey Stoner is only fourth with 225 points, ahead of Andrea Dovizioso with 206 points.
Here are the full race results for the 2010 Valencia GP:
1. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 46m44.622s
2. Casey Stoner (Ducati) + 4.576s
3. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) + 8.998s
4. Ben Spies (Tech 3 Yamaha) + 17.643s
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) + 19.160s
6. Marco Simoncelli (Gresini Honda) + 20.674s
7. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) + 26.797s
8. Hector Barbera (Aspar Ducati) + 29.288s
9. Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki) + 29.451s
10. Randy de Puniet (LCR Honda) + 29.860s
11. Aleix Espargaro (Pramac Ducati) + 31.761s
12. Colin Edwards (Tech 3 Yamaha) + 33.604s
13. Marco Melandri (Gresini Honda) + 36.622s
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (Interwetten Honda) + 38.968s
15. Carlos Checa (Pramac Ducati) + 56.169s