The race looked like it was going to take place in dry conditions, but the typical British weather soon changed that, as a short shower hit right before the start, ensuring that all 24 cars started out with intermediate rain tires.
Red Bull Racing star Sebastian Vettel immediately passed his team-mate Mark Webber to take the lead, while Alonso battled on from third position. By the first half, Vettel looked like a sure bet to win the race, but he was then delayed during a pit stop because the Red Bull crew couldn’t replace a wheel in time.
Alonso took advantage of this and passed him in the pits. In the end, Vettel took second place with Webber rounding out the top three positions.
Vettel remains at the head of the Drivers’ Championship points table with a convincing lead of 80 points over second placed Webber, who has 124 points. With his latest win, Alonso stands in third place with 112 points
Here are the results of Sunday’s British Grand Prix at Siverstone:
1. Alonso - Ferrari: 1h28:41.194
2. Vettel - Red Bull-Renault: +16.511
3. Webber - Red Bull-Renault: +16.947
4. Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes: +28.986
5. Massa - Ferrari: +29.010
6. Rosberg - Mercedes: +1:00.665
7. Perez - Sauber-Ferrari: +1:05.590
8. Heidfeld - Renault: +1:15.542
9. Schumacher - Mercedes: +1:17.912
10. Alguersuari - Toro Rosso-Ferrari: +1:19.108
11. Sutil - Force India-Mercedes: +1:19.712
12. Petrov - Renault: +1:20.600
13. Barrichello - Williams-Cosworth: +1 lap
14. Maldonado - Williams-Cosworth: +1 lap
15. Di Resta - Force India-Mercedes: +1 lap
16. Glock - Virgin-Cosworth: +2 laps
17. D'Ambrosio - Virgin-Cosworth: +2 laps
18. Liuzzi - HRT-Cosworth: +2 laps
19. Ricciardo - HRT-Cosworth: +3 laps