Of course, the launch control feature and the gearbox’s so-called Performance Algorithm Shifting makes it possible for the Caddy to be so quick, but all in all, this is one impressive vehicle for all it’s worth. “The new CTS-V is the most compelling example of Cadillac’s product substance and brand trajectory.” said brand president Johan de Nysschen.
What we have here then is a strange automotive case of Dr Jekyll and Mr HydeThe 2016 Cadillac CTS-V has two alter egos: one is the luxury sedan persona so fitting to a vehicle that wears the Cadillac logo, while the other is a hell-bent for leather character coming from that Vette Z06-sourced motor. In terms of key performance stats, the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V is equipped with:
- Standard carbon fiber hood and available carbon fiber vent, front splitter, rear spoiler and rear diffuser for greater aerodynamic performance
- Brembo high-performance brake system developed to provide durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance straight from the factory
- Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control delivering 40-percent faster damping response
- Integrated chassis controls that provide balanced performance for touring and the track, including competition-spec Performance Traction Management
- Structural stiffness increased by 25 percent for improved ride and superior handling
- Driver-selectable modes electronically calibrate performance variables for touring, sport and track driving conditions
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with tri-compound technology offering excellent grip with extended wear
- An interior with performance-oriented, sueded microfiber accents and matte-finish carbon fiber trim and available RECARO high-performance seats for spirited driving
- Advanced safety and parking technologies, including a front curb-view camera system that provides a visual cue of curbs to protect the front splitter; automatic parking assist to find and steer into parallel or perpendicular parking spots; side blind zone alert, forward collision alert, lane keep assist and rear cross traffic alert.
In addition to the aforementioned, the blown V8 is boosted by a 1.7-liter supercharger, while fuel economy is aided by GM’s Active Fuel Management feature (cylinder deactivation). Just like the normal 2015 CTS, the berserk 2016 CTS-V features an 114.6-inch (2,910 mm) wheelbase for proper comfort and legroom for all five passengers.
Revised multi-link double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension aside, the Caddy’s ZF Servotronic II variable-ratio electric power steering is said to deliver up to “14 percent greater system stiffness for an improved feeling of precision and greater driver feedback.”
Handling at the rear is taken care of by a neat five-link rear suspension system, as well as an electronic limited-slip diff. Lastly, with great power comes great responsibility, which is why Brembo takes care of stopping duties with two-piece 15.3-inch diameter (390 mm) front rotors with staggered six-piston calipers and 14.3-inch diamter (365 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers.
More info on the mad as a fruitcake 2016 Cadillac CTS-V can be found in the release below.