The sub-compact is expected to deliver 40 mpg highway with class-leading acceleration when paired with the 1.4L Turbo and six-speed manual transmission.
Production of the Sonic begins this fall at the General Motors Orion Assembly Center in Michigan, which received a $545-million investment, and will help restore approximately 1,000 jobs in the metropolitan Detroit area.
"Sonic is truly a safer small car with three more airbags than the nearest competitor," said Scheidt. "It also offers the safety, security and convenience of OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation on all models."
"Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance," said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. "Today's customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire."
Below you have the detailed trim levels for the new Sonic:
Sonic LS starting at $14,495 sedan, $15,395 hatchback, including:
• Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission
• Class-exclusive standard 15-inch alloy wheels
• The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system and power rear-door child safety locks
• Standard OnStar, with a six-month subscription including Turn-by-Turn navigation
• Standard convenience features, including air conditioning, power door locks with remote keyless entry and tilt/telescoping steering wheel
Sonic LT starting at $15,695 sedan, $16,495 hatchback, including:
• Six-speaker premium sound system with CD player, XM Radio with three-month trial subscription
• Power windows with driver's express up/down
• Power, heated side mirrors
• Connectivity package with a USB port, Bluetooth for select phones and music, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
• Heated front seats
• Cruise control
• Fog lamps
• Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
Major available upgrades on Sonic include:
• Six-speed automatic transmission (with 1.8L engine) - $1,070
• 1.4L Turbo with six-speed manual transmission (available on LT and LTZ) - $700