autoevolution
 

1960 Chevy Impala Parked in a Shed Needs a Superhero and Pretty Much Everything

Let's be honest about it: if you're in the market for a restoration candidate, you want the project to be as easy and affordable as possible.
1960 Chevy Impala 21 photos
Photo: Bogdan Popa/autoevolution/Craigslist
1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala1960 Chevy Impala
In other words, you're looking for a bargain, as it doesn't make sense to get a horrible project and invest thousands of bucks into putting it back on its wheels unless it's a one-of-a-kind model.

The 1960 Impala that landed on Craigslist earlier this month is not. And it's not an easy project either. In fact, it's exactly the opposite, hoping to convince someone online to take it home and begin the most challenging restoration project in their life.

The second-generation Impala played a major role in the overall success this nameplate eventually recorded. The Impala became the best-selling car in the United States, and in 1965, it showed the world that it was ready for serious business. It became the first model in the country to sell more than 1 million units in a single year after WWII. No other nameplate managed to beat this record for several decades.

As a result, owning an early Impala is a dream come true for many diehard Chevrolet fans and collectors worldwide.

It's probably what the owner of this super-rough Impala sees as the main selling point. The car has been sitting for God knows how long in what looks to be a shed, so it comes with many issues that will probably make 99% of the buyers to walk away. The remaining 1% could be exactly what this Impala needs, though hopefully, they won't use the car for parts.

As you can imagine, this Impala comes with major rust problems, so it needs new floors and a trunk pan. The hood is also wrecked, but the good news is that the trunk is full of trim, so you're getting several presents that could eventually help with a complete restoration.

The engine and the transmission are gone, too, but that's not necessarily a reason to give up on the car. This Impala already needs everything, so you can always install another engine and turn it into a restomod. The seats are no longer around, leaving the door open to a full cabin customization.

The biggest roadblock for this Impala's return to the road could be the selling price. The owner believes this rough project is worth $5,000 despite lacking an engine, a transmission, the seats, and many other parts. I do believe that this Impala is worth a second chance, but the selling price should be much lower, especially considering the rough shape and the work you'll have to put into saving everything.

If you want to see this Impala live, you can find it in Waco, close to Dallas, and you'll need a trailer to take it home.
If you liked the article, please follow us:  Google News icon Google News Youtube Instagram X (Twitter)
About the author: Bogdan Popa
Bogdan Popa profile photo

Bogdan keeps an eye on how technology is taking over the car world. His long-term goals are buying an 18-wheeler because he needs more space for his kid’s toys, and convincing Google and Apple that Android Auto and CarPlay deserve at least as much attention as their phones.
Full profile

 

Would you like AUTOEVOLUTION to send you notifications?

You will only receive our top stories