The Fitch-Whitmore Special made its racing debut at Bridgehampton on May 26, 1951, where Fitch drove it to a class victory and fourth overall. Fitch raced this car three more times. Whitmore drove it as well until late 1952 when the car was sold to Gerry Georgi of Nyack, New York.
Georgi fitted a Buick V-8 engine and raced it at Lime Rock for a few years. The car remained in his family until 1973/1974 when it was sold to Jim Haynes, who raced it occasionally and swapped in a
Next, the Special was acquired by Joel Finn in the late 1980s. Finn made no modifications, entered a few races and used the car mostly for spirited driving. Randolph Lenz acquired it in 1990 and engaged Vintage Racing Services, Inc. to restore the car for VSCCA and HMSA-sanctioned events. The work was completed in 1991, and a period-correct 3.4-liter Jaguar DOHC “six,” rebuilt by Sasco Motorsports, was fitted.
The vehicle to be auctioned is now equipped with a 200+ hp, 3,442 cc Jaguar DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, dual SU carburetors, four-speed manual gearbox, tuned Jaguar XK120 chassis, and four-wheel “Alfin” hydraulic drum brakes.