How to Properly Use the EV Mode on Lexus CT 200h [Video]
Unfortunately the EV range on hybrids doesn’t last for too many miles, so here is how to get the most out of it using a Lexus CT 200h.
If the battery is optimally charged and the outside temperature isn’t too low or high, press the EV button on the central console. The green EV indicator light should light on the dashboard, or a message telling that the ‘feature is not currently available’ will appear if requirements are not met.
Now here are some tips to stay in EV mode as long as you can so you can save fuel an money:
- Apply throttle gently as a power surge will force the petrol engine to kick in and help
- Avoid going uphill because that will use more electricity
- Keep the speed bellow 20 mph (32 km/h). It doesn’t sound like a good speed to go anywhere fast, but it should be enough for strolling in city traffic
- Avoid unnecessary acceleration. For example, don’t accelerate if you are approaching a stop light that is about to go red
- Try to carry less things in the car, unnecessary stuff forgotten in the trunk will definitely cut down the range
- Have your tires inflated at the recommended pressure. Low pressure will generate a bigger contact patch with the road and more tire deformation, which will drag you down. Overinflated stiff tires are good for mileage, but they are not safe, so don’t do that
- Always try to adapt to the traffic flow so you don’t have to stop too many times. It is harder for the motor to beat the car’s inertia to push it forward than to keep it at a certain speed.