UK Van Drivers Receive Winter Warning
Some van drivers are part of this category, so they have been warned about the serious snow and bad road conditions now present in the UK. Swinton, one of UK’s most important van insurance retailers, recommends van drivers to keep an emergency kit.
The kit should include a fully charged mobile phone, ice scraper and de-icer, torch, warm clothes, blanket, a pair of boots, first-aid kit, battery jump leads and a snow shovel.
Swinton also offers some tips for van drivers:
- Make sure the van is in tip top condition by booking it in for a winter service
- Check oil and water are and the correct levels and pay particular attention to oil as it can become thicker in colder temperatures
- Only travel if absolutely necessary
- Stick to major roads that are more likely to be gritted
- Beware of black ice in the snow and if you do start to skid pump your breaks and steer in the direction of the skid
- Wear sunglasses to protect eyes from the glare of low lying winter sun
- Don't be afraid to turn back if the conditions are too treacherous
"Van drivers spend a lot of time on the road because of their work so it is vital they are prepared for the weather when it turns nasty. Driving during the winter can be extremely dangerous and can increase the chance of an accident and subsequent van insurance claims," said Phil Moss, Commercial Vehicle Manager at Swinton.