Tony Kanaan Wins 2013 Indy 500
The KV Racing Technology driver, who slipped in front of Ryan Hunter-Reay in turn one on a lap 198 restart, secured his win after a crash that involved Dario Franchitti, which occurred seconds later, put the final lap under the yellow.
"That last lap was the longest of my life. I got a little bit of luck today and this is for the fans. I was looking at the stands and it was unbelievable. I am speechless. I made it, and now I get to put my ugly face on that trophy. We were known for not winning and now we are known for winning. Everything was so smooth,” Kanaan said.
The 38-year-old Brazilian driver started the race in12th position and led the pack for 34 laps out of 200.
Top 10 results:
1. Tony Kanaan - KV Racing Technology (Chevrolet)
2. Carlos Munoz - Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet)
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay - Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet)
4. Marco Andretti - Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet)
5. Hustin Wilson - Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
6. Helio Castroneves - Team Penske (Chevrolet)
7. A.J. Allmendinger - Team Penske (Chevrolet)
8. Simon Pagenaud - Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports (Honda)
9. Charlie Kimball - Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
10. Ed Carpenter - Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)