NYIAS 2011: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 [Live Photos]
The main reason, but not the only one, is the V8 brute under its long hood, which makes the ZL1 the fastest Camaro ever. Numbers? Yes please. 550 hp and 550 lb-ft (677 Nm) of torque coming from a LSA 6.2-liter supercharged mill. We’ve got an explosive mix of an all-aliminum small block, an intercoolded efficient supercharger and heat-resistant aluminum-alloy cylinder heads.
And the reast of the tech bits match the standard set by the powerplant. The suspension, for example, relies on the Magnetic Ride Control system, allowing the driver to choose between the Tour and Sport modes.
As for the braking system, this comes from Brembo and relies on 14.6-inch (370 mm) two-piece front rotors with six-piston calipers and 14.4-inch (365 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers.
The ZL1 offers the same goodies included in the curent 2SS pack, offering the following:
• Six-way power driver and passenger seats
• Unique instrument panel and door panel inserts; and ZL1-logo sill plates
• Steering wheel audio controls with Bluetooth capability
• Wireless PDIM and USB-port
• Boston Acoustics premium audio system
• Rear parking assist
• Rear camera system (displayed in the inside rearview mirror).
Nope, you can’t have it yet, as the vehicle is scheduled to go on sale in early 2012.
❐ Check out the NYIAS 2011: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 [Live Photos] photo gallery