Lorenzo Tops Friday Practice at Silverstone
Lorenzo stopped the clock at 2:05.991, some 0.142 seconds ahead of Ducati's Casey Stoner. However, the first part of the 90-minute session was dominated by the Australian rider, who began getting his Desmosedici up to speed from the early stages.
Shortly after his initial quick laps, Honda made its way to the top of the classification with Randy de Puniet (LCR) and Andrea Dovizioso (Repsol), before Lorenzo stepped in and beat them all in his very last lap. He set the fastest time of the day with 12 minutes to go, after which only Stoner managed to come closer to his lap time a few minutes before the end.
Rain started to make its presence on the British track a couple of minutes to the finish line, leaving the overall P1 classification unchanged. Dovizioso had to settle for the 3rd position, 0.356 seconds behind Lorenzo, while De Puniet ended the Friday practice 0.448 seconds off the Spaniard's pace.
The 4 riders were actually the only ones who managed to stay within a second from each other after the Friday action, as 5th placed Ben Spies (Tech 3 Yamaha) came more than 1.2 seconds behind Lorenzo, yet ahead of Mugello winner Dani Pedrosa. Here is the complete P1 classification on Friday, for this weekend's British GP.
1. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2:05.991
2. Casey Stoner (Ducati) 2:06.133
3. Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) 2:06.347
4. Randy de Puniet (LCR Honda) 2:06.439
5. Ben Spies (Tech 3 Yamaha) 2:07.250
6. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2:07.586
7. Marco Melandri (Gresini Honda) 2:07.588
8. Aleix Espargaro (Pramac Ducati) 2:07.927
9. Marco Simoncelli (Gresini Honda) 2:07.951
10. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 2:08.300
11. Hector Barbera (Aspar Ducati) 2:08.452
12. Colin Edwards (Tech 3 Yamaha) 2:08.525
13. Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki) 2:08.666
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (Interwetten Honda) 2:09.639
15. Loris Capirossi (Suzuki) 2:09.805
16. Mika Kallio (Pramac Ducati) 2:10.227