Early American Motorcycles to Be Auctioned
Specifically, Bonhams announced the addition of over a dozen early American motorcycles from a private Long Island, New York, collection to its first annual Las Vegas motorcycle auction.
"These are some of the most iconic motorbikes in the world and we are very fortunate to have been entrusted to represent them," stated Nick Smith, head of the Bonhams motorcycle department, in a release. "Each symbolizes a hallmark in American motorcycling and some, such as the Merkel, are so unique that the impact of history is simply overwhelming."
In addition to the above collection, an original "barn find" 1952 Vincent Rapide in Chinese Red will also be offered together with over 200 classic motorbikes from nearly every era.
Consisting of some of the most significant names and most desirable models in motorcycling history, including an extremely rare in original paint Flying Merkel and two Indian board track racers, the collection includes:
- 1905 Indian Camelback
- 1912 Indian Twin Board Track Racer
- 1913 Flying Merkel Twin – in original condition
- 1913 Excelsior Single
- 1916 Indian 8 Valve Board Track Racer
- 1923 Harley-Davidson JD Racer with Sidecar
- 1923 Harley-Davidson Twin
- 1924 Indian Scout
- 1924 Harley-Davidson with Twin Cam Experimental Motor
- 1929 Henderson KJ Four
- 1929 Excelsior Super X with Sidecar – in totally original condition
- 1946 Indian Chief