Barry Veneman to Replace Toseland at Assen
As a result, 34-year-old Barry Veneman, has been selected by the BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team to replace Toseland for the next events in the SBK World Championship, starting with the Assen event on April 15-17.
The Dutch rider is quite familiarized with the BMW S 1000 RR, with which he raced – and will race again in 2011 – in the German IDM Championship. He has also participated in several developmental tests with the Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport.
According to BMW, Veneman “has a fairly good amount of experience in international championships and, since he is quite familiar with the local circuit, which is also one of his favorites, he will be able to provide valid support to the Team in setting up the bike.”
Veneman’s experience includes a season in the MotoGP World Championship, riding a two-stroke 500, as well as various races in the Supersport World Championship. In addition, with Suzuki in 2010 he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, as part of the Endurance Championship, after also taking third place in 2008.
Barry Veneman’s major results are listed below:
• 1998 Dutch Supersport 400 Champion
• 2001 500cc MotoGP Championship 24th
• 2002 Dutch Supersport 600 Champion
• 2003 Dutch Supersport 600 Champion
• 2005 World Supersport 12th after injury
• 2007 World Supersport 8th
• 2008 World Supersport 8th
• Podium finish – 2008 World Supersport Magny Cours (FR)
• Winner – Le Mans 24 Hour World Endurance