Audi R8 V8 Gets Supercharged by APS
text size: A- A+
The package comes with a 128 hp premium, allowing the entry level version of the R8 to deliver 548 hp (at 7,500 rpm). The vehicle’s torque figure has been increased from the factory-stock 317 lb-ft to 437 lb-ft (at 4,800 rpm).
The tuner emphasizes that the kit, which retails for 21,995 pounds, is an alternative to buying the V10 version of the car, as it delivers more power for less money, but we’re not really sure if things are that simple.
The kit has been created by California-based VF Engineering, which is an UK sales concessionaire for the new range of Audi R8 V8 superchargers conversions and has been present in the supercharging field for 10 years. The pack was developed over twelve moths, with the project including dyno and track test sessions which allowed the company to improve throttle response and mid-to-top end power.
The Audi R8 supercharger technical specification includes:
• GIAC custom tuned software to optimize performance
• OEM soft rev limiters and top speed governor removed
• Eaton TVS1900 satin black supercharger
• 1 year unlimited mileage limited product warranty
• VF- CNC machined 6061 aluminium bracket system
• VF- CNC machined 6061 aluminium inlet runners
• OEM Goodyear idler pulleys
• VF- Custom tuned supercharger intake
• Internal overrun bypass valve system
• OEM crank case ventilation system
• Replacement OEM serpentine belt
As the custom supercharger kit includes a software recalibration, it comes with a ECU map switching facility that allows the user to plug a small handheld unit into the vehicle’s OBD2 port to choose between different power modes, such as “Race Fuel” or “Valet Mode”.
❐ Check out the Audi R8 V8 Gets Supercharged by APS photo gallery
UP NEXT: Darth Vader Voice for TomTom [Making-Of Video] Tip: navigate with ← and →
all testdrives →